Swan Lake Science Curriculum Guide
LET'S LEARN ABOUT SWANS!
- Swans are big beautiful white birds with black bills and feet. Learn about tundra swans at this website and trumpeter swans here.
- Did you ever wonder how birds can fly? We know they have feathers, which no other animals have, and hollow bones, which make them light. But the true secret to birds' ability to fly is a concept called "The Bernoulli Principle", which has to do with air movement and air pressure. Watch this quick video to see something air pressure can do with a ping-pong ball, and this video explanation of the Bernoulli Principle.
- Here is a pdf lesson plan that explains the Bernoulli principle and includes an experiment and project. Here's another experiment you can do to demonstrate this principle.
- Here's a fun project that demonstrates air pressure with a balloon hovercraft.
- In our story, the prince gets a crossbow for a gift and goes out to hunt with it. Crossbows were a huge step up in weaponry when they were first invented in China. Watch this video to find out more about crossbows.
- Leonardo da Vinci designed a giant crossbow to be used in wars. Take a look at this picture! Could you imagine if one of those were ever made and used? Learn a bit about Leonardo da Vinci here.
- Make your own crossbow with household objects. Follow the directions on this website or this one. Set up small targets in the backyard and see how you do! Make sure you use safety procedures so no one gets hurt.
- Design your own invention, label it, and share with it your class, teacher or family. Explain what it would be used for, and who would use it.
FITNESS & NUTRITION
- Ballet dancers must be in excellent physical shape. They are very conscious of their diet and nutrition, as well as the importance of keeping physically fit. Ballet takes a lot of energy, hard work and practice! Let's learn about fitness and nutrition...
- Nutrition- what we eat is important to maintain a healthy body. Here are some games, websites, and coloring pages to teach you more about how to eat well: coloring pages; Blast off; Nutrition games; Food Pyramid- explore how to eat healthy!
- Keeping fit with exercise is the other piece to the healthy body puzzle. Explore these places to learn more about keeping fit: Kidnetic is a great website with tons to explore related to fitness for kids!
© MAESTRO CLASSICS. DIV OF SIMON & SIMON, LLC, 2015 - 2018