The Nutcracker Music Curriculum Guide
Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was a Russian composer in the 19th century. You have a brief bio in your CD booklet, but let’s do some research and activities to learn some more about him!
- Here is a great mini unit study on Tchaikovsky, including some varied video excerpts
- This youtube video has a very clever instrument map with the March from Nutcracker.
- And this video is a rhythm instrument play-along of the Overture. Use a pair of rhythm sticks, or even a couple of pencils, to play along!
- Study up on the instruments at this website of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.
- This picture book includes a CD of Duke Ellington’s arrangement.
- Emily’s Kodaly Music site has a post with a few music and dancing activities to go with the music of the Nutcracker.
- Christy at Real Life at Home created a unit study for the Nutcracker with many musical ideas.
- Here’s a lesson plan from Quaver Music, which includes a printable listening and coloring activity for younger students.
To order by phone call toll-free
© MAESTRO CLASSICS. DIV OF SIMON & SIMON, LLC, 2015.